Today’s blog post will be of interest to commercial real estate owners, facility managers, and property management firms. What are the things to keep in mind when you are looking for the right commercial roofing products for your building?
To help you, we have prepared a list of factors to consider. Read on below for some brief thoughts to keep in mind when you are shopping around for the right solutions for your building.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Roofing Products
◦ What is the height of your building? A building with several stories will be subject to heavier wind loads than a building with only one or two stories. Wind uplift resistance will be a factor (and by extension, how the roofing products will be adhered to the building). It will also affect roof accessibility and the roofing contractor’s ability to transfer materials, debris, and tools on and off the rooftop – points which weigh on roofing materials that are transferable to buildings of greater height.
◦ Where is the building location? Building location is another point with many dimensions to it. Factors such as local, regional, or state compliance standards and work standards come into play. Things to keep in mind include:
▪ Relevant, applicable building codes
▪ Fire code requirements set by state and/or local authorities
▪ Building energy codes or compliance standards (such as California Title 24 Compliance)
▪ Applicable local ordinances, such as ones relating to permitted work hours or sound levels at different times of day
◦ What is the local climate like? Local climate is of tremendous importance. When selecting roofing products, it is advisable to keep local conditions in mind. These include annual precipitation patterns, temperature ranges throughout the year, any patterns of high-wind activity, and whether the area tends to have a warmer or colder climate. For instance, buildings in areas with warmer conditions, such as the southern United States, will strongly benefit from energy-efficient roofing products. Other regions with more demanding climates, such as the northeastern United States, will require roofing products that can stand up to abuse and preferably have high insulation value.
◦ What are your building’s and roof’s characteristics? Commercial buildings differ in terms of their architectural design, rooftop features and protrusions, operating purpose, and more. Because each building is unique, it important to be sure that any roofing products used on your building are best-suited for your property’s specific features. Things to keep in mind include:
▪ The number of protrusions your roof has
▪ Any rooftop units or features, such as HVAC systems, piping, electronic equipment, and others
▪ The presence of any parapet walls, or walls extending beyond the roof line
▪ The scale of your building size
▪ Existing roof construction and water drainage measures or systems
▪ Whether your roof is made up of a singular body, or broken up into small sections
▪ Your roof’s structural capacity
▪ Whether the building is a manufacturing or industrial plant, and has any output like chemical agents that come out on the rooftop
Be sure to consult with professional building engineers and roofing service providers so you are fully apprised of your options.
◦ What is the reputation of the product line itself? For the purposes of keeping your building and interior assets safe for the long haul and your roof warranty intact, your commercial roof should be handled with quality products. Dependable roofing products will have a solid history, a widespread user base, a credible performance record, proven customer benefits, strong industry endorsements, and a reputation for standard compliance. As for credible roofing product manufacturers: a reliable manufacturer will have been around for a while, have a solid history of releasing great-performing products, have a solid, professional training program for roofing contractors, and have strong industry credibility.
Why We Use Conklin Roofing Products
At Choice Roof Contractor Group, we know our reputation relies on using roofing products that have a solid track record, industry credibility, strong extent of use, and wide application value. Among other reasons, we chose Conklin because of its long-standing reputation for excellence and performance.
Conklin has been an established, widely-respected manufacturer in the building products industry for over 40+ years. It was the inventor of the first acrylic roof coating for the commercial roofing industry, and it has persisted in its product innovation ever since. Here are a few brief reasons why Conklin roofing products stand out:
- Applied successfully on 2+ billion square feet nationwide
- Trusted by roofing contractors, building engineers, property owners and managers, and other commercial real estate professionals nationwide
- Diverse product selection for a wide scope of commercial roofing needs and climate conditions
- Proven product formulation which offers energy efficiency, durability, and longevity
- Seamless, leak-resistant, fully adhered roof protection
- Applicable on buildings with challenging features or complex architectural designs
- ENERGY STAR® certification
- Reflective, white surface that can save you 30-50% on yearly A/C costs
- Backed by non-prorated warranty guarantees on 100% of labor and material costs
- Do not require roof replacement and tear-off to be applied
- Fewer roof life-cycle costs with Conklin product line
For more information about how these products can be of benefit to you, give us a call at (800) 670-5583.