Today’s blog post covers a line of roofing products that is being used to reduce a building’s cooling costs and improve building performance. We’re going to take a thorough look at elastomeric roof coatings.
What is an elastomeric roof coating? Simply put, it is a liquid coating product that has “elastic” properties, or the capacity to expand or contract in temperature extremes. It is applied over an old roof, is fully adhered to the existing substrate, and can be applied to virtually any type of any commercial roof substrate. Elastomeric roof coatings are extremely durable and adapt well to weather conditions that are proper to each season (e.g., summer and peak heating periods).
With its expanding and contracting abilities, an elastomeric roof coating presents many benefits, including:
- Extending the life of the existing roof it covers
- Maintaining roof flexibility in hot and low temperatures
- Preserving a roof surface from deteriorating effects of the sun’s heat
- Keeping a roof impervious to harmful effects of thermal shock over its life
- Reducing chances for cracks, bubbles, or other forms of surface damage to occur
- Staying on top of the old roof in rainy or powerfully windy conditions with its adhesion
How an elastomeric roof coating performs during each season is simple. During the summer months, the coating expands in the hotter periods of the day and then contracts when the sun has gone down. In the wintertime, an elastomeric roof coating returns to its original size, which lets the roof maintain its flexibility and not give way to problems like cracks, bubbles, or other surface damage.
Other Facts about Elastomeric Roof Coatings
Many elastomeric coatings are acrylic-formulated coating products, or liquid-applied, water-based roof products that are completely seamless, are fully adhered, and form an elastic membrane over an existing roof when applied. When installed, many acrylic elastomeric roof coatings often produce a highly-reflective, white membrane over an existing roof.
The newly-formed “white roof” gives many benefits on top of the benefits discussed above. These benefits include:
- Making the roof able to reflect a majority of the sun’s rays
- Letting less heat drift into a building’s interior space
- Holding up against foot traffic and dirt build-up
- Keeping the building cool while using less energy
- Minimizing chances for seams or cracks to appear, which could give rise to roof leaks
- Keeping the roof surface temperature at much lower intervals than before
- Strengthening a building’s structural support while adding little-to-no deadweight
- Resisting blistering forming from prolonged water ponding
- Absorbing less heat during the day to be released at night
- Saving tens of thousands of dollars on annual cooling costs
- Reducing the building’s carbon footprint
In short, an acrylic elastomeric roof coating makes a building more energy-efficient, gives it strong, long-term roofing protection, and equips the building with a roof that has tremendous durability and tensile strength.
In fact, because these coating products do so much to ward off common roof problems, they can extend an old roof’s life for an additional 10-20 years.
Conklin Roofing Products and Their Value
Conklin roof coatings so appealing:
- Conklin products have been installed on over 2 billion square feet of roofing in the U.S.
- One of the few commercial roofing products to have non-prorated warranties for up to 18 years
- Potentially extend a roof’s life for an additional 25 years, or even longer
- Renewable, non-prorated warranty coverage on 100 percent of material costs for warranty coverage period
- A leading roofing product brand for architects, commercial roofing contractors, building owners, facility managers, construction professionals, and more for 40+ years
- Roof products have a warranty claims rate of a mere 0.25 percent
- Products meet high third party standards for energy efficiency, including LEED standards, ENERGY STAR® qualification, Cool Roof Ratings Council’s standards, and more
- Conklin products reflect up to 85 percent of the sun’s rays
- Building owners can save 15 percent or more on annual energy costs with Conklin roofing systems
- Roof systems can lower a roof surface temperature by 80°
- Save up to 50 percent on avoided roof replacement costs
In fact, we’ve heard reports of Conklin-coated roofs applied back in the mid-late 1970s that are still on the job and have high reflectance values to this day.
If you are looking for reputable commercial roofing services from capable professionals you can trust, call us today at (800) 670-5883. We look forward to earning your business, beginning with our first phone call.