Today we cover the importance of energy-efficient roofing systems and the impact they are having upon total energy consumption in the United States.
According to United States Department of the Interior, American energy consumption will jump up 40 percent by 2025. At present, according to the ENERGY STAR® program Americans spend approximately $40 billion in cooling costs for their buildings on an annual basis.
For buildings in the United States, the ENERGY STAR® program reports a total of 4.8 million commercial buildings and 350,000 industrial facilities. Combined annual energy costs for these buildings come out to around $202.3 billion. Approximately 30 percent of energy used in buildings is used inefficiently or unnecessarily.
It is instructive to consider the cost savings that could come about if these buildings reduced their energy consumption. ENERGY STAR® reports that if these buildings became more energy-efficient by a mere 10 percent, there could be savings of up to $20 billion. In other words, with more energy-efficient buildings American building owners could save almost 10 percent of what they pay in combined energy costs per year.
Aside from energy costs, there are other factors to consider as well. Industrial facilities and commercial buildings in the United States are responsible for 45 percent of all emitted greenhouse gases. If American buildings became more energy-efficient by just 10 percent, the equivalent of greenhouse gas emissions from 30 million vehicles would be prevented. Therefore, energy-efficient buildings could have a big impact on the wallet and environmental well-being.
Energy-Efficient Roofing Systems are a Solution to America’s Energy Dilemma
With the growing craze over energy-efficient buildings, many real estate owners have turned to energy-efficient roofing for solutions. One of the primary energy-efficient roofing systems used today is the “cool roof”, or a roof system with a highly reflective roof surface. Other commonly referenced energy-efficient roof systems are the “white roof” and “green roof”, which are a roof system with a white, reflective surface and a roof system covered with plants or vegetation.
Energy-efficient roofing can give building owners many benefits:
- Annual cooling cost savings ranging from 10-30%
- Cooler, more comfortable space inside the building
- Substantial energy savings at peak energy demand
- Reduced environmental impact given by a building
- Dramatically lowered rooftop temperatures by up to 100°
- Reflective roof surface that bounces up to 85 percent of the sun’s energy off a building
- Stronger building structural integrity
- Protection from the harmful effects of the sun
- Reducing maximum cooling demand by up to 15 percent
It is important to note that energy-efficient roofing, especially roof coating-based systems, will need fairly regular maintenance and cleansing. Elsewise factors such as dirt build-up or discoloration will reduce the energy-efficient roof’s performance.
Conklin Energy-Efficient Roofing
Because energy-efficient roofing is becoming more popular with building owners, Choice Roof Contractor Group uses one of the commercial roofing industry’s leading brands for energy-efficient roofing. Conklin was the force behind the roofing industry’s first acrylic roof coating, and it has been a trusted brand for commercial roofing for over 40+ years since then. At present, Conklin roofing products cover over 2 billion square feet of roofing across the United States, and they are the only roofing materials to be backed by non-prorated warranties of up to 20 years.
These non-prorated warranties cover all material and labor costs for their coverage period. Conklin’s line of commercial roof systems has a warranty claims rate of less than 0.5%– a great sign of their long-term performance value.
Here are a few other benefits a Conklin roof can offer building owners:
- Seamless, impenetrable roofing protection against leaks and water infiltration
- Old roof life extended for decades; maybe another 40+ years
- Commercial roofing designed to resist dirt build-up or discoloration
- Greater building structural support
- Virtually no maintenance or upkeep demands
- Class-A fire resistance and strong chemical resistance
- Third-party-confirmed protection against hurricane-force winds and hail storms
- Annual energy savings of up to 50 percent depending on the roof system
- Straightforward, non-prorated warranty coverage
- Extremely durable roofing protection that lasts for years
Should you be interested in learning more about how Conklin energy-efficient roofing can be good for your building, call us at 800-670-5583. We will be happy to arrange a free local roof estimate by one of our qualified, expert commercial roof contractors.