If you’re on the lookout for information about commercial metal roofing prices, whether to replace an existing metal roof or for new construction, you’ve come to the right place.
Metal roofing is an incredibly durable roof product, known to last, on average, 40+ years or more before it needs replacing (although ongoing maintenance is required and such quality comes at a cost, of course).
Metal Roof Pricing
For 2018, the average cost of a metal roof in the United States can range from about $4 per square foot (installed) all the way up to $13 per square foot. The economy of the area in which you live can, of course, play a part in the final price for your building.
Here is a breakdown of costs for an installed metal roof:
- Corrugated steel panels range between about $4 to $5.65 per square foot.
- Metal shingles run between about $7 and $9 per square foot.
- Stone-coated metal roof tile costs between about $8 and $9 per square foot.
- Standing seam metal roofing is between about $7 to $13 per square foot.
Again, these are final, installed prices—not just the costs for materials. In addition to the roofing materials, a contractor’s costs can include things like removal of the old roof, if needed; repairing the roof substrate; debris removal; ventilation; flashing; building permits; and more.
As demonstrated, the type of metal roofing you have will play a factor in the final cost. Some of the most common types of metal roofing include:
- Standing seam metal
- Corrugated galvanized steel
- Steel coated with a mixture of zinc, aluminum and silicon
- Stainless steel
- Painted or stone-coated metal sheets
A Better Alternative to Replacement
Many building owners aren’t aware that an outstanding alternative to roof replacement exists, costing much less than roof replacement and greatly extending the life of an existing roof. This solution is called a roof coating, and older metal roofs can be good candidates as long as they are not rusted or corroded to the point that it isn’t safe to walk on them.
There are many incredible benefits to a roof coating system, including but not limited to:
- Fully restores an existing roof to like-new condition
- Addresses all leaks and other problems
- Can add decades to the life of your old roof
- Significantly less expensive and labor-intensive than roof replacement
- No expensive roof tear-off and landfill fees
- ENERGY STAR® certified roofing solution
- Fully waterproof solution
- Requires less maintenance and upkeep
- Can be re-coated later for even greater roof life extension
- Totally seals your roof from the elements
- Non-prorated warranties covering total labor and material costs
- Rated to withstand some of Mother Nature’s worst—even hurricane-force winds!
- Can lower your roof temperature by as much as 80 degrees
- Helps cut down on utility costs, possibly paying for itself within 5-7 years in terms of energy savings
If roof coating sounds like an incredible solution, that’s because it is!
Finding a Reliable Roofer
Need a Local Expert?
Our group works together to provide:
- Larger Base of Knowledge
- Group-Wide Accountability
- Set Standards for Service
- More Peace of Mind
When you work with a contractor for a project of any size, we highly recommend continuing that relationship with them for the lifespan of your roof. A reliable roofing contractor can put together a regular inspection and maintenance program, and help you get the most out of your roof.