Due to the recent inquiries received about Conklin roof coatings with regards to standing seam-style roofing systems, we have put together this blog to help explain the proper installation process.
For any standing seam roof, there is always one main cause of leaks: an incorrectly crimped seam. In addition to this major problem, there are also a number of other areas where this roofing system can leak. Luckily for you, Conklin’s building product specialists outlined the procedures to handle a number of these issues with the following document: https://www.conklin.com//files/pdf/Standing Seam B 5 92 35 Tech Doc 5-16.pdf.
Overview of the Process
Before starting, we strongly encourage you to review the document above in full, but will provide a summary of the steps to take below.
- Power wash the entire surface with Rust Off®, a rust and oxide remover that etches metal to provide for better adhesion of the coating system.
- Apply Conklin Encase, a rust inhibiting metal primer, to the entire metal surface.
- Embed Spunflex II joint tape with Benchmark base coat or Rapid Roof III base coat on all end laps at a rate of 1.75 gallons/square followed by an additional .75 gallons/square on top of the fabric. Make sure all Spunflex II joint tape is completely embedded in coating up the side of the rib as far as possible.
- For vertical seams, apply Kwik Kaulk to any crimped area without the use of fabric or butyl tape.
- For horizontal seams and field flashed areas, the contractor should follow the MR specification sheet found at the following link: https://www.conklin.com//files/pdf/MR%20Spec4.pdf
- The final step is coating the entire roof surface with Rapid Roof III, Benchmark, or Puma XL at a rate of 1.9 gallons per square.
Contractor Support Services from Roofing Pros
The outcome of your standing seam roof systems is really dependent on the skill and experience of your installer or contractor. This roofing type is prone to application errors. If you or your preferred contractor doesn’t have much experience with standing seam roof systems, don’t worry! By joining Choice Roof Contractor Group, you receive the support of a number of qualified nationwide contractors who can help you. These contractors are highly skilled and ready to provide the advice necessary to finish any project. Our members will even go as far to fly to your location and help with a roof installation is needed. Here are some of the benefits you will also receive if you join:
- Large source of knowledge and experience from contractors with years of experience
- Full, professional on-job or off-site advisement
- Elite contractors open to any questions via texting, email, camera, or other means of communication
- Strategic planning for prevention of a business issue or challenge before it even begins
- New ways to improve the effectiveness of business strategies currently in use
- Professional advice to handle any challenge thrown your way
Our Nationwide Platform and Your Success
We strive to help each of our members grow and become successful. This is why Choice Roof Contractor Group offers many benefits as you obtain more amounts of local roofing market shares. This includes:
- Discounted pricing on professional Conklin roofing products
- Networking with others who are ready for your services
- Above-average profit margins with the value and peace of mind our group offers to building owners
- Compelling sales materials and presentations as part of a quality marketing plan
- Premium marketing support, consulting, and service via our relationship with Top Roof Marketing
- Discounts and support from our trusted partners and suppliers
- Up-to-date news and content on the latest in the commercial roofing industry and our platform via our website, social media, and other communication channels
- Nation recognition via our members’ dedication to excellence
If you want the support of a nationwide group of committed contractors, Choice Roof Contractor Group might be the solution for you. We have the resources, content, and advice to help with every project you take on. You can learn more about the support our group offers at the following link: Contractor Support Services.
You can also contact us at (800) 670-5883 or reach out to one of our members with our Interactive Member Directory.