Today’s blog post will be of interest to quality-minded contractors who want to start their own roofing business. It also has educational value for current roofing business owners, business development managers, or company employees who are looking to take their organization to the next level.
We take a look at one of the most important parts of the commercial roofing industry and the construction sector as a whole: credible, professional training programs.
Opportunities in Commercial Roofing
For capable business owners and customer-minded roofing companies, there are many enterprising opportunities in commercial roofing. According to the research firm Principia, the commercial roofing industry will reach $5.3 billion in 2014. Thereafter, The Freedonia Group projects residential and commercial roofing sales will reach $27.2 billion in 2017.
This market growth potential is reflected in projections for the larger-scale construction job market as well. The Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics projects the construction market as a whole will grow 2.6% each year between 2012 and 2022. Because of this growth, it anticipates there will be 1.6 million new jobs created in that time.
Along with this growth, however, there is another factor that enterprising and current roofing business owners should keep in mind. In the higher-end spaces of construction, such as commercial roofing, there will be a great need for professionally-trained workers. Because commercial work is very involved and detailed, skilled labor or craftsmanship will be more important than ever for meeting the growing demand and being able to perform at high quality standards.
What Are Some Tangible Reasons for Professional Roofing Training?professional training is essential? Here are a few things worthy of consideration:
- Professional roofing training will keep you current in your roofing knowledge as well as up-to-date on any industry trends or developments. As the old saying goes, “Knowledge is power.” Being knowledgeable of what is going on in your industry, what business trends are current at play in it, and what developments may shape its future is essential for your business’ performance—and making sure you have skin in the game. Important things such as regulations, construction trends like energy efficiency, business licensing and certification, and different products available are just a few of the many factors of which you should be constantly aware. You need to keep up-to-date in your knowledge, or you will be left behind by local competitors. There is another advantage to ongoing education besides meeting minimal performance standards, too. Because the factors mentioned above can change quickly, being ahead of the educational curve means you will be ahead of the competition—and that will help you keep your competitive edge sharp.
- Depthful product knowledge is an essential for maintaining profitability. This is an obvious benefit, but it is important to reinforce. Building product manufacturers offer training programs so contractors can become expert applicators of their product line. In them, contractors are given valuable information on the products themselves, including their key selling points. It is also advisable to remember that these training programs are not intended for only new contractors, but also industry veterans who are looking to keep their product application skills sharp, are learning the ins-and-outs of a new product line they are using, or seeking new insights of how a product line offers value. Knowing the nitty-gritty of the products you are using, their performance value and benefits, how they perform and why, and how this is of interest to customers, of course, will help in closing more sales.
- New market opportunities can open up from new insights gained at a roofing training program. Sure, a professional training program gives your company and its workers more credibility. But what about the benefits of going through a training program multiple times? Even the most experienced roofing contractors have found value in going back to roof systems training and reacquainting themselves with best commercial roofing practices. For older hands at roofing, there is actually another plus—by becoming more familiar with a product line, you may see new market opportunities to take advantage of. You can gain new insights into the product you are using, and see more ways in which different products can be applied for greater customer value and market benefit for you. Then you can take that knowledge and put into action.
- Attending professional roofing training programs can help in making connections and valuable business relationships. Oftentimes, roofing training programs host experienced contractors who have been using a particular product line for decades. These veteran contractors can be wellsprings of knowledge, insight, advice, and even sometimes business development opportunities. Just like in any other industry, networking is a critical part of commercial roofing, and roofing contractors who take the time to connect with others who are like them, or who are experienced professionals, can greatly benefit from those networking connections later. After all, robust professional networks are a key resource for making additional new contacts for roofing work prospects; opening up new business development ideas, strategies, or partnerships; and raising your own bullion in professional circles. Being connected to experienced professionals who can offer valuable mentorship and strategic guidance can help raise the professional capabilities of your workers or company team members, too. They can benefit from these individuals’ knowledge and expertise when needed.
Choice Roof Contractor Group and Conklin Roof Systems Training
At Choice Roof Contractor Group, we believe in giving every quality-minded contractor all of the resources he needs for success. So, if you are a current roofing business owner looking to add more to your bottom line, or a business development manager or worker wanting to strengthen your company’s performance, there may be something here for you.
Our nationwide network provides roofing companies with a full suite of exclusive benefits for their success, including:
- Conklin’s comprehensive roof systems training, which gives a roofing company everything it needs to enter into commercial roofing
- Lifetime mentorship, coaching, and support from experienced, successful contractors in our network
- Commercial roofing leads after becoming an endorsed member
- Marketing and business development strategies that members are using with great success
- Credible professional reputation provided by our nationwide organization’s record of excellence and customer-minded service
- Shared expertise and resources among members and supported contractors
- Valuable business suppliers and partners committed to your success and unique needs, such as full-service marketing support from Top Roof Marketing
- So much more
Should you be interested in learning more about how going through Conklin’s factory training program with us can help your company, please do not hesitate to contact us. We can help, whether you are an experienced commercial roofing company or just those critical first steps. You can quickly reach us at 800-670-5583. We will be happy to give you more information on how our contractors empower people for success as well.