Warning: Use of undefined constant is_author - assumed 'is_author' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/choice2/public_html/wp-content/plugins/google-plus-author/google-plus-author.php on line 37
Warning: Use of undefined constant is_author - assumed 'is_author' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/choice2/public_html/wp-content/plugins/google-plus-author/google-plus-author.php on line 56
Today, we build on top of our “Starting a Commercial Roofing Business” blog series, discussing what things you exactly need for a roofing company startup.
As we have covered before, there are many highly profitable business opportunities in the commercial roofing industry. Our blog series also reviewed the major steps you need to take in order to start a successful roofing company. But what else is needed?
- Business planning—Before you get started with all of the paperwork required by your local and state government, you need to plan for success. Having business and marketing plans that cover your company’s core details are critical. A good business plan will cover your business’ structuring, financing details, marketing strategies, mission statement and slogan, service or product pricing, and other critical information. Plus, having all of this information at your fingertips will help you keep focused in the early stages of your business’ development.
- Business permits and licensing—You will need to file certain paperwork with your state and local governments if you wish to start your own roofing business. At the local level, that includes local building permits, and various approval processes such as zoning, planning, and possibly safety inspection approval. Your city government’s local zoning department and business affairs office can direct you on steps to take.
- Contractor Certifications—Another set of paperwork you must fill out includes state licensing and certification. Depending on the state in which you live, you may be required to obtain more than one license, and the certification processes differ largely on a state-by-state basis. In addition, many states require roofing contractor licensing to be renewed on a fairly frequent basis, and may even require additional conditions such as continuing education in order to be renewed. Your state’s department of business regulation should be able to give you the answers you need.
- Insurance—Because business liability is a requirement in all 50 states, it is critical for you to have insurance coverage. Some states require workman’s compensation as well. For large-scale roofing jobs, you may be required to have measures such as surety bonding so that you actually remain competitive in your bidding. Plus, insurance coverage will protect you, your company, your family members, and your employees should any unfortunate incidents arise. Safety is critical in roofing, but some events are unavoidable. Make sure to take this critical step as a precautionary measure for your company and its long-term stability.
Getting Help and Advice
- Added credibility via association with our reputation for excellence
- Discounted access to Conklin roofing products, one of America’s leading choices for roofing systems
- Business lifetime mentorship program and sales coaching
- Lead opportunities via our nationwide contractor referral program
- Compelling sales materials for professional positioning
- Shared marketing strategies proven by other contractors in the group
Contact us today to learn more.Ian Myers